Local 2010 Social Justice Actions
Social justice is the idea that equality, especially regarding social, political, and economic affairs, should exist for everyone regardless of background, class, race, sexuality, gender, etc.
USW prides itself as an organization that is at the forefront of progressive and inclusive movements, and in supporting legislation which put workers and their families first.
USW Local 2010 is committed to actively engaging with social.
justice causes. Throughout the last year, we have endorsed or supported initiatives that we believe work towards the creation of a more just society.
We have listed these initiatives below:
– Participated in the march against fascism and hate to promote a safe and welcoming community for everyone.
– Kelly Orser attended the Hearings for Bill 148 in Niagara Falls and appeared before the Board to advocate on behalf of working people and their families for changes to the Employment Standards Act and the Labour Relations Act.
– An annual event for our Local, USW 2010 marches in the parade and provides snacks and water at our table to show our support for the LGBTQ community.
– In cooperation with our campus partners, USW annually sponsors Equal Pay Day. This event marks the day into the new year that women have to work in Ontario to earn the same as men in the previous calendar year. For more information, please see the Equal Pay Coalition.
– contributed to the funding of the above report, produced in partnership with the Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Associations and the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives. Report due out in Fall 2017.
– participated in the march to demonstrate our commitment to the value of equality and to demonstrate our belief that misogyny and violence has no place in our society.