USW Local 2010 Job Evaluation Project
Creating a Modern, Updated Point-Factor System to Evaluate Jobs in the USW Bargaining Unit
After bargaining with the Employer, USW Local 2010 (USW) was successful in negotiating a new Job Evaluation (JE) Letter of Understanding (LOU). This new LOU will bridge the JE Project through to the next set of negotiations.
The JE Project was initiated to develop and implement a new Job Evaluation (JE) system for positions in the USW Local 2010 bargaining unit. The new JE system will be a gender-neutral, point-factor system that is compliant with the Ontario Pay Equity Act. It is also a more transparent, standardize framework to evaluate positions then has been used in the past.
There are approximately 1,250 staff in the USW bargaining unit whose positions currently encompass a wide variety of jobs spanning grades two through nine. Other employee groups, such as confidential/excluded group, research group, and the QMPG are not within the scope of this project.
Job Evaluation is the process of systematically determining the relative worth of positions to create a position structure for an organization. Job Evaluation provides the basis for providing comparable pay for jobs of the same or similar value, and providing a consistent method of gathering information about jobs and evaluating them against a standard framework.
Different Inquiry Types
- Link is inactive | Contact HR – view their web site
- Qualtrics platform isn’t working | Contact HR – view their web site
- Unsure of what examples to use | Speak to your Manager
- Group JCQ gathering not going well | Speak to your Manager
- Feeling pressured to Sign-Off | Email USW at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Difficult conversations with your Manager | Email USW at email@example.com
Note: Add JEC to the subject line when emailing USW
If you have questions regarding the JE Project or filling out your Job Content Questionnaire (JCQ), please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review the HR JE Project web site at: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/total-compensation/job-evaluation/queens-usw-job-evaluation-system-project
Job Content Questionnaire:
Letters of Understanding:
Appendix & Schedules:
USW Job Evaluation Committee
Katherine Rudder, Life Sciences
Susanne Cliff-Jungling, Philosophy
Christina Salavantis, Sociology
Elizabeth Agostino, Chair, USW
Labour Consultants: Olivia Batt and Daina Green
Assisting: Kelly Orser, President, Briana Broderick, Vice-President, John Goldthorp, USW Staff Representative