Your Union Steward/RTW Rep Can Help!
To contact your Steward/Return to Work (RTW) Representative, please click here to review the details.
What do stewards do?
- They are your colleagues here at the University who have volunteered to become active in your union, and to make sure that the voice of Members (workers) is heard.
- Any time you feel you may have been treated unfairly, contact your Steward.
- Stewards assist members in handling complaints, attending discipline meetings, filing grievances, as well as providing advice, advocacy and support, while maintaining member confidentiality.
- Members will be supported by Stewards; if a resolution cannot be reached between Management, yourself and your Steward, the matter can go forward as a grievance if you wish.
- Supervisors are obligated to inform you of your right to have a Steward present at any meeting where discipline or discharge is to be given.
- Often concerns or issues can be solved quickly and easily without formal action.
- If you feel however, that your concern warrants formal action, and you wish to submit a Grievance, your Steward will assist you in this process.
- Remember, the Employer must act first before a Member can grieve; you can’t grieve something that hasn’t actually happened.
- Stewards are great problem solvers, educators and communicators, and they are not afraid to speak up to Management on your behalf.
- They work with you every day, so don’t hesitate to approach them if you need help with an issue!