University Pension Project (UPP3)
A New Path to University Pension Sustainability for Workers
For several years, the United Steelworkers (USW) have been engaged in discussions with several universities in Ontario regarding the creation of a university-specific, multi-employer, defined benefit Jointly Sponsored Pension Plan (JSPP). Click on the links below to review the progress to date of the University Pension Project (UPP3).
- April, 2017 – Queen’s Gazette – update on the multi-university initiative to create a multi-employer, jointly-sponsored pension plan
- December, 2016 – Off campus access to Queen’s Pension Self Service – use direct link http://queensu.ca/humanresources/total-compensation/pensions/self-service
- December, 2016 – Queen’s Pension Self Service – the comparison tool won’t print using Firefox – use Chrome or MS Explorer.
- June, 2016 – Queen’s Gazette – Queen’s now has Pension Self-Service
- February, 2016 – USW Local 2010 Know Your Paystub updated to include Pension Calculations, based on years of service (to compare with Queen’s pension statements)
- 2015/16 – see QUFA’s General Pension Information
- September, 2015 – Queen’s / USW Local 2010 Collective Agreement: Monetary Matters (5p pdf) – see pages 2-5, Article 31 Pension – this article is in Queen’s agreements with CUPE, QUFA, USW. From QUFA’s summary of updates to their agreement:
A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) that establishes a process for considering and recommending a preferred pension option to QUFA Members forms part of this Agreement. If a merger with a JSPP is that option, the MOA provides that it will be accomplished through collective bargaining. The same MOA forms part of the recent agreements negotiated between the University and the USW and CUPE bargaining units. The MOA reflects the participation of QUFA, those unions and the Queen’s administration in the development of the University Pension Project in the hope that this new Jointly Sponsored Pension Plan (JSPP) will preserve the value of pension benefits while releasing the University from the obligation to make solvency payments.
- May 20, 2015 – Queen’s University Employees Join Forces to Protect Pensions (USW Press Release) – CUPE, QUFA, USW sign joint agreement
- January 22, 2014 – Alex McKinnon, USW Research Director and Pension Specialist speaks to USW Local 2010 members, (ppt presentation) [29p, PDF]
- June 25, 2015 – Ontario University Pension Project due to report in Fall 2015
- May 25, 2015 – Ontario University Pension Project making progress
- April 8, 2015 – Queen’s Pension plan approved for stage two solvency relief
- February 26, 2015 – Ontario project considers university-sector pension plan
- January 29, 2015 – New actuarial valuation estimates Queen’s pension deficit
Queen’s HR Website
- Pension info page, also Queen’s Pension News Feed
- University Pensions Project – update December 22, 2015,